Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Viva La Vie Boheme!

to being an us for once......instead if a them!
La Vie Boheme!


On April 29, 1996 Rent opened on Broadway and on September 7, 2008 after 5,124 performances it ended its run. Adapted from Puccini's "La Boheme", it won a Pulitzer for Best Drama in 1996 and was nominated for 10 Tony Awards winning 4 including Best Musical.



Quite simply put it changed my life.


In those 12 years I saw Rent on stage 26 times in 5 cities. I broke my Rent cherry to the original Broadway cast in New York City in June of 1996. It was mesmerizing and the story stirred every emotion I had. And these songs weren't like other Broadway show tunes. The had kick and personality all their own. I liked these songs. The lyrics felt like they spoke only me. I fell in love with every character. I could find something in each of them to identify with. or the first time ever I saw characters that were like me, that were like people I knew. I wanted to be apart of their little group and over time I felt like I was. The only regret I have was not getting to see it in its final run before it ended. Especially since 2 of the cast were American Idol alum Tamyra Gray and Anwar Robionson. But maybe I will get my chance. It was announced that original cast members Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal have joined the 2009 national touring company and even though the rest of the cast hasn't been announced yet I have my fingers crossed it will be a good one and maybe just maybe I'll get tickets to see them when they hit Philly in February and DC in May.

THIS is why I love RENT sooooo much, its like my lifestyle anthem:





Viva La Vie Boheme
!!!


No comments: