Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Adventures in Beer - 6/14/10

So last night we went out to 12 Steps Down my favorite Philadelphia neighborhood dive bar. They recently added a bunch of new taps so they have something like 10 awesome beers on tap at all times.  That's why I love that place, awesome beer, great people and a stellar jukebox. I really need to take my camera in there and get some great shots of the place - its really almost like hanging in your buddies basement.  But that is beside the point we are here to talk about beer (though I am sure Danielle wouldn't mind the plug - lol)

So last night I decided to try 3 of the beers they currently have on tap and this is what I had:

Flying Fish Farmhouse Summer Ale -  I thought this was an EXCELLENT summer beer from the seasoned NJ craft brewers.  It was perfect as my starter beer for the night - it went down so smooth and effortlessly and was refreshing like a cold beer should be on a muggy summer day.

Malts: Two-row pale, white wheat, Cara-Pils
Hops: Magnum, Styrian Goldings
Yeast: English
Original Gravity: 11.5 plato
Alcohol by volume: 4.6%
Formats: 12 oz. bottles, 1/2 kegs, 1/6 kegs, cask-conditioned
Availability: April 15 to September 1 


A tribute to the highly drinkable "every day" beers from French-speaking Belgium. Contains Belgian two-row pale malt and 7% wheat. This beer is lightly filtered with an earthy, spicy hop character from imported Styrian Goldings hops and a beautiful rich creamy head from the wheat.
(taken from their website -  http://www.flyingfish.com)

Then it was onto:
Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale - Mmmmm Pale Ale's and IPA's are my favorites so I was very pleased with this option. Probably one of the best things to ever come out of Cleveland!

Style Origin: Pale ales gradually evolved from an English town called Burton-upon-Trent that was known for its distinctive hard water supply and propensity to brew a lighter-colored beer than was common at the time.
Flavor: Assertively hopped with citrusy and piney Cascade hops


Style: Pale Ale
Family Status: The bold, hoppy, rebellious one
Availability: Year-round
Packaging: 6-Pack, 12-Pack, 1/6 BBL, 1/2 BBL
Shelf Life: 90 days
ABV: 6.0% ABW: 4.8% IBU: 45 GRAVITY: 14˚P

(taken from their website - http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com


And last but not least I finished the night with this:


Ballast Point Brewing Co. Calico Amber Ale -  Mmmm mmmm mmmmmm........the color and aroma off this beer was AMAZING.  It came to me with a big frothy head like a root beer and I really wish I had had my camera because it was so beautiful. And it was equally delicious.  

Although inspired by the British Ales, Ballast Point Calico Amber Ale uses distinctive American hops, which give not only the crisp bitterness to balance the malt, but also a hint of floral aroma. We brew Calico Amber Ale with 100% malt and use 4 different malts to give it a rich complexity.  The blend of crystal  malts give it flavors including toffee and caramel.  A blend of American Cascade and Centennial hops provide a counterpoint to the malt.  Finally our proprietary yeast provides a fruity background and a Madeira like richness that rounds out this gold medal winning ale. 

Ballast Point Brewing Co.
San Diego, CA
American Amber Ale
ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 35

(taken from their website http://ballastpoint.com)
 
I was not disappointed in any beer I drank and I loved how perfect the order I drank them in worked with all the flavors and styles of the beers.  


I wish I could say that I did that on purpose.


Cheers!

No comments: